University of Pau and Pays de l’Adour
The University of Pau and Pays de l’Adour (UPPA) is a multidisciplinary university which covers three major areas of study:
- law, economics, business, management
- science and technology
- literature, languages, arts, social sciences and humanities and sport
UPPA offers its students initial or continuing education, work/study programmes or apprenticeships, to obtain Bachelor’s, Master’s and vocational degrees and Doctorates through its 5 UFRs (Teaching and Research units) and two Doctoral schools.
The university also includes two IUTs (University Institute of Technology), one IAE (University School of Management), two engineering schools (ENSGTI, covering industrial technology engineering and ISA BTP covering construction), a continuing education department and an apprenticeship training centre.
One of the particular features of UPPA is its location close to the Spanish border, between the mountains and the ocean, on 5 campuses on a very human scale: Anglet, Bayonne, Pau, Mont-de-Marsan and Tarbes.
The teaching teams at UPPA prepare 11,500 students to complete their course, but they are also attentive to the needs of students and are always available, and committed to our quality process.
With 24 research units associated with research bodies such as the CNRS, INRA and INRIA, research at UPPA covers :
- 5 strategic themes:
- Environment and materials
- Aquatic environments and resources
- Justice and territories
- Areas, borders and blending
- and one transversal and multidisciplinary theme: energy, environmental and social transitions.
- Institut Carnot ISIFoR (Institute for the sustainable engineering of fossil resources)
- Equipex MARSSEquipex MARSS (Mass Spectrometry centre for Reactivity and Speciation Sciences)
- Equipex in the XYLOFORESTXyloforest Programme network (development of the wood sector)
- Labex in the STORE-EX network (electrochemical storage of energy)
- LabCom, shared laboratory with URGO
Because of its geographic situation, UPPA is particularly well placed to develop original cross-border cooperation with Spain, by setting up:
- the PYREN Project: IDEFI (Initiative for excellence in innovative training) funded by “investment for the future” from the government,
- specific bursaries,
- internships in companies,
- 10 double degrees and joint thesis supervisions (34 in 2015).
UPPA hosts 1,700 international students and offers its own students the opportunity for international mobility through its many partnerships:
- 51 partner countries worldwide,
- 80 inter-university cooperation agreements,
- 179 Erasmus partner universities.